Most substrates (surfaces) are best prepared by cleaning with a 50:50 mixture of isopropyl alcohol (IPA)
but there are exceptions that may require additional surface preparation include:and water prior to applying 3M™ Tapes. Below are the 5 most common exceptions::
- Heavy Oils: A degreaser or solvent-based cleaner may be required to remove heavy oil or grease from a surface and should be followed by cleaning with IPA/water.
- Abrasion: Abrading a surface, followed by cleaning with IPA/water, can remove heavy dirt or oxidation and can increase surface area to improve adhesion.
- Adhesion Promoters: Priming a surface can significantly improve initial and ultimate adhesion to many materials such as plastics and paints.
- Porous Surfaces: Most porous and fibered materials such as wood, particleboard, concrete etc. need to be sealed to provide a unified surface.
- Unique Materials: Special surface preparation may be needed for glass and glass-like materials, copper and copper containing metals and plastics or rubber that contain components that migrate (e.g. plasticizers).